{Mad About Nails} Daisy-Inspired Nails


I've had quite a few people comment on my nails in the past ask what I was using or wish I'd done a close-up so they could see better, etc., etc., and had a realization: Why not do a feature on nail polish? It's not book-related (Unless you're wearing the new HUNGER GAMES-inspired line from China Glaze, but I'm not even going into how wrong that is...), but it's fun. Plus, if I do this feature, I'll be more likely to re-paint my nails this week and less likely to let them chip their way to the bare bones (which would mean that I could see my nails...and if I see them, I want to bite them!).

Welcome back to another edition of Mad About Nails! 

It's been a few months since I did one of these posts!

I got really sick in February, and I used medicine that destroyed my nails/hair/etc. I put myself on a serious nail regime to get them back into shape (Which I'll do a post about another time). 

For two months straight, I wore no nail polish. For the past month, I've worn only cream-based polishes. I'm still on a glitter/texture ban. 

This coming week for BEA, I'll finally get to do something fun and crazy again! This past week was still simple, but cute. 

Even better? This week's design was inspired by my adorable 5-month old niece! 



I sat down to do black with white polka dots on an accent nail. My yellow was still sitting out from when I did accent polka dots the week before. I recalled a picture my sister just sent and completely changed my mind!




Left Hand:




Right Hand:

Ack, it's a little blurry! Sorry!!!
I'm right-handed, so my right hand is usually not done as well with my left...

...but this week I think I like this hand a little better!





For my Base Coat/Top Coat:




These two are POWERHOUSES for
long-lasting manicures!  One lasted
1.5 weeks, the other for 2!!!
I started off with a basecoat of ORLY "Bonder."  Many of the professional nail studios use this as a basecoat when doing nails for their clients.  It's a rubberized coat that helps polish adhere to the nail.  It stinks, but it's great!

I finished the base color off with a top coat of Revlon's "Quick Dry Top Coat."  I'd heard it was a rival for the legendary Seche Vite, but with fewer harsh chemicals.  It also doesn't go bad in the bottle or shrink when used.  I was intrigued, and so far, this stuff is FABULOUS.

Together, this combo has made my nails last, on average, 1.5 to 2 weeks. They're both awesome!

NOTE:

I put the Top Coat over the black base ONLY, not the design. I didn't put it over the design for about 3 days instead it started to get worn and I wanted to make the manicure last longer. I like designs best when they're sharp, and a top coat gives the design a blurry look.

Take a peek at what I mean:

 

For my base color:

I love ORLY "Liquid Vinyl" for a good, shiny black that really pops. It's my favorite black! I bought this at Halloween from a display at Sally's Beauty Supply, but ORLY is always mixing this color into various collections. It's easy to get your hands on!

After two coats of the polish, I used Revlon "Quick Dry Top Coat." It looks really shiny and glossy! Once it was dry, I added the dots...


For my design:

My favorite high-shine white is Zoya "Purity." I love using it together with ORLY "Liquid Vinyl!" I decided to do two daisies on my accent nail, then did the same for my index finger. When I started to do my right hand, I was a little shakier (I'm right-handed). I made the petals on my index finger a little too big, so I only had one flower and it didn't match the other hand. So I decided to get creative and added some dots at the side. Then I went back to my other fingers. Now, every finger either has one daisy, two daisies, or a double row of dots! For the yellow, I used ULTA "Sun-Sational."

Sally Hansen has now started selling "I Heart Nail Art" kits at Target, CVS, etc, and one of the kits comes with a dotting tool and a detail brush. I decided to buy it on sale one day and try it out. The white petals are done with the detail brush, and everything else is done using the dotting tool. The tools are a little small, which makes them less comfortable to use than my Mash dotting tools, but I can also get in closer and have a straighter edge than when I use a larger detail brush. They work well enough for the price, though, and make it easy for everyone to pick up tools and try out some nail art!


 Is anyone else obsessed with nail polish? What are you wearing right now? 

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!