Bunny+Kat Present: Top Ten Books We Can't Believe We Haven't (But Want To) Read!

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish.
Every once in a while I participate in this one when I either
1) Like the theme, and/or 2) Have the time!


Hey Bookworms!

Today, you get a DOUBLE DOSE of 10s because Kat and I are BOTH taking part!

Bunny and Kat's friend Casey made this fab banner
(Because he's AWESOME like that...even if he doesn't have a real-life animal nickname like us!)
and Bunny's friend W. Memes colored it, while Bunny made the fun typography!
(And she's so awesome that she's done guest posts for both FTF and Splash this past year!)
Great teamwork!
We'll be using it when we want to do posts together in the future!


This week's topic:
Top Ten Books I Can't Believe I Haven't (But Want To) Read!

Kat's Top 10:

~Popular titles that are/have become films~
(I chose this weird category because I do like to stay informed on what the young people are into these days!)
 
1) THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green
2) CITY OF BONES by Cassandra Clare


I have not read either of these books yet, even though I have access to them as I please. Oops! I am so out of the loop on these. I will get to them eventually. Until then, I can voice no real opinion on them. I have to fess up that CITY OF BONES isn't actually mine... I borrowed it and it just hasn't been read yet. :x

 

~E-books I *HAD TO HAVE* when I bought them~

3) A LONG, LONG SLEEP by Anna Sheehan
4) VALKYRIE RISING by Ingrid Paulson


A sleeping beauty retelling! Me! Not having read this yet! This is admitting a grave failure on my part. And a book based on Norse mythology! Ugh.


 ~Middle Grade Must Haves!~
(At least when I bought them forever ago) 

5) THE LIGHTNING THIEF by Rick Riordan
6) THE TWISTROSE KEY by Tone Almhjell


Yeah, you read that right. THE LIGHTNING THIEF. I have it, but it is just collecting dust. Sigh.

 


~Contemporary Must Read~


7) ELEANOR AND PARK by Rainbow Rowell


I am just a sad, sad girl. I have this in hardcover and it's just laying limp on my shelf.

 ~Fantasy Fun Titles~

8) SENTINEL by Jennifer Armentrout
9) THE KISS OF DECEPTION by Mary E. Pearson
10) A DISCOVERY OF WITCHES by Deborah Harkness


Two of the above I own finished copies of. One of those finished copies is autographed. The other I happened across an ARC and it just didn't happen for me. Care to guess which is which? 

(If you guessed the ARC was KISS OF DECEPTION, you were very correct. The answer to the autographed copy is indeed SENTINEL. None of these beauties have been touched. Sigh.)

 


Bunny's Top 10:


 ~The Award-Winning Dust Collectors~

1) CODE NAME VERITY by Elizabeth Wein
2) THE BOOK THIEF by Markus Zusak


These books both have a lot in common. They're Printz Honor titles. They're set during WWII. I've been wanting to read them FOREVER. My poor little dust collectors...eventually I will get to you for real!

 

 ~Final Books~

3) BOUNDLESS by Cynthia Hand
4) THE KING'S GUARD by Rae Carson


Here's a secret: Final books scare me. I'm not ready for it to be over. To see how things end. To say goodbye. Sometimes, I sit on books for a LONG time because I just can't bear to bid farewell.

I didn't start out that way with either of these. I wanted to re-read the first two Unearthly books before reading the finale, and a friend took several months to return them to me. Then...I didn't have time. As far as THE KING'S GUARD goes...I don't want to run out of Rae Carson words. Kat keeps yelling at me for this one. But...It's Hector. I will love this...and then it will be done. And I'm afraid of those emotions!



~Series that are calling my name~
(Sometimes, it's REALLY daunting to start a new series when there are so many books waiting to be read in a row! That's so much time being dedicated to one series, you know?)

5) The Darkest Minds Trilogy by Alexandra Bracken
6) The Knots Sequence Duology by Amy McCulloch 
7) The Abhorsen Quartet by Garth Nix
8) The Queen's Thief Quartet by Megan Whalen Turner
9) The Seven Realms Quartet by Cinda Williams Chima
10) The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind


~I wanted THE DARKEST MINDS when Alexandra Bracken was still writing it and it was still called BLACK IS THE COLOR. And then I didn't have time to read the ARC. Or the first book. And then the second book was out. And then, well, might as well wait one more year and read all three at once, right? But I've pre-ordered all three of these and hope to read them this month before I meet the author at a local signing!

~I was desperate to read THE OATHBREAKER'S SHADOW. I stalked Book Depository until it was available to order in the USA. It's been sitting on my nightstand for months. Now it's been announced for a US release and is almost out. Why I haven't I read them???

~I had the original release of ABHORSEN and perhaps one of the sequels, but then I went to college, they got boxed up, lost, and...it never happened. Now they're out again, and I was lucky enough to meet Garth Nix last year...and I'm STILL trying to get to them!

~I've heard SUCH amazing things about The Thief's Queen and I purchased all of the books. Sitting. Waiting. Yep. Story of my life. ^^;;;

~I only purchased the Seven Realms boxset last June, so I haven't had it in my piles for all that long. I've wanted to read it for years, though, and got it from the library a few times. I'm hoping to read it in the next few months!

~I'm really mad at myself for not reading The Sword of Truth series. I have all the books. There are, like, 13 or 14 of them! I found a set of 9 or 10 of the books used--in hardcover--for $2 each and grabbed them all. Then I bought the rest used or on half-price sales. I've even gotten a couple of hundred pages into the first book. It's such a daunting task, though!

        
 




Do you want to yell at us to read some of these first?
 
What books are you ashamed to still be sitting on??? 
^_^
 

Comments

  1. I'm ashamed to still be sitting on Kiss of Deception and The Darkest Minds. Hopefully we'll both get to them soon! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not missing much with The Book Thief. That was one of the most overrated books I've ever had the misfortune to attempt. Just thinking about the smirking, gimmicky narrator with his endless parade of spoilers makes me angry, particularly given all the obscene hype around it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the darkest minds is awesome if you like the kids with powers sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CODE NAME VERITY is so, so good and brilliant. Please read it soon. Thanks for stopping by!

    Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Lightning Thief is actually pretty good, despite me not reading it until a couple years ago! The only other books on this list that I have read are the Abhorsen Quartet by Garth Nix. That series is one of my all time favorites and I recommend it to anyone and everyone, even if they don't like fantasy. I've probably read the series at least five times. Good lists!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to read a couple of these books too LOL!! Here is my Top Ten Tuesday if you wanna check it out :) http://bookbabble.weebly.com/blog/top-ten-tuesday1

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kat:
    You should really get around to read TFIOS and City of Bones. TFIOS will make you ugly sob but you will (probably) be glad you read it, and The Mortal Instruments series is one of my ultimate favorites so yeah super recommend you to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need to read Eleanor and Park too plus Code Name Verity and the Garth Nix books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You must read City of bones!! *-* I want to read The demon king as well!

    My TTT: http://frannieinthepages.blogspot.it/2015/02/top-ten-tuesday-ten-books-i-cant.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!